ONLINE: Reports from the Sool region indicate that Somaliland has been virtually disarmed. SSC-Khatumo forces this morning captured the Gooja’adde military base, which Somaliland troops used to attack the city of Las Anod. The outpost has been a crucial strategic base for Somaliland forces, which have waged war on Las Anod since February. The Somali Digest has been monitoring the developments in the Sool region of Somalia.
Las Anod, Sool region, SOMALIA. By the Editorial Team:
The Somaliland government said their forces withdrew east of the Sool region in a ‘strategic’ move.The spokesman of the SSC-Khatumo, Aqil Falalug, spoke to Faisal Abdi Botan, the captured commander of the Somaliland forces. Falaluq reportedly told Botan: “Don’t worry, the people you are with are your people.”
- Somaliland’s military hardware has littered the road from Guumeys to Las Anod, the Somali Digest learned. SSC-Khatumo forces reportedly stripped Somaliland of an immense amount of hardware.
- Locals spotted SSC-Khatumo forces in Yagoori, 70 km from Las Anod.
- SSC-Khatumo forces reportedly captured Faisal Abdi Botan, the commander of the Somaliland forces.
- The president of SSC-Khatumo has arrived at the border between the Isaaq & Dhulbahante clans, 21 km from the town of Oog.
- The Somaliland army is being driven out of all Dhulbahante inhabited areas.
This morning, pictures and videos emerged on social media, showing SSC-Khatumo fighters capturing Somaliland soldiers and their critical base. Other photos displayed the base’s interior, including a medical facility, proving that the SSC-Khatumo forces successfully overtook it.
The capture of Gooja’adde is the most significant blow to the self-proclaimed government in Hargeisa since the conflict for the disputed city of Las Anod started.
Somaliland’s atrocities in Las Anod
On 16 August, the Somaliland army bombarded the city of Las Anod, killing Somalia’s prominent poet, Jama Kediye. Mr Kediye became famous for creating the ‘Saar’ rhythmic poetry form. Born in Las Anod, he became a respected poet throughout the Horn of Africa nation and one of the few poets who composed and performed this type of art.
The tragic incident came only days after Somaliland killed another prominent elder. Indiscriminate shelling of Las Anod targeted civilian infrastructure, hitting a residence adjacent to Faayow Hospital and a small tea shop. According to the Somali Digest sources, the bombardment claimed the life of a revered 85-year-old elder of Las Anod, Jama Digale.