By Jama 27 June 2023
In a crucial counter-terrorism operation, Puntland Police Command has seized a number of key ISIS figures, including Sudanese high-ranking commander Mohamed Ibrahim Daha. The significant sweep took place on Monday, 26 June 2023, in Amaamo, Balidhidin, Bari region, according to an official tweet from the Puntland Police Force.
The individuals arrested in this operation, as released by the Puntland police, are:
- Muhanad Abdalla Abdirahman “Muslim”, born in Syria.
- Mohamed Ibrahim Daha, from Sudan.
- Mohamud Macalin Mohamad, “Abdisemad”, a Somali national.
- Ali Yusuf Ali “Ikrama”, a Somali national.
- Mohamed Osman Nur Adan, a Somali national.
- Adiso Mohammed Dayib, a Somali national.
- Hassan Mohamed Mahmoud, from the Wardheer area, Ethiopia.
- Deeq Hussein Abdullahi, a Somali national.
- Siraji Mohamed Isaaq, a Somali national.
The official tweet reads, “Puntland Police Force have arrested ISIS/Daacish members from #Sudan and #Syria, including top ISIS Commander named Mohamed Ibrahim Daha after operations in Amaamo, Balidhidin, Bari region on Monday 26 -June, 2023.”
Puntland’s success in this operation underscores the region’s autonomous efforts to combat terrorism within its borders, a task accomplished without the aid of the African Union Transition Mission in Somalia (ATMIS). This demonstrates Puntland’s leadership in regional security efforts and may provide a model for other Federal Member States to follow in their own fight against terrorism.
As Somalia continues to face threats from ISIS and other terror groups, Puntland’s proactive stance marks an encouraging stride towards a more secure nation. Nonetheless, the broader implications of this operation and its subsequent impact on ISIS activities within Somalia are yet to be fully assessed.
Article updated on 28 June 2023 with the names of the apprehended individuals.