Land Tax Office corruption scandal rocks Somalia. The Office of the Attorney General submitted charges against six individuals. It accuses them of a range of offences, including theft of public property, falsification of government documents, abuse of power in public office, embezzlement, and taking bribes.
Mogadishu, SOMALIA. By Jama:
The charges come in the wake of an extensive investigation into alleged corruption within the Land Tax Office of Mogadishu’s Warta Nabada District. The scandal has sent shockwaves throughout the region.
All the defendants facing these charges worked in the Warta Nabada District:
- Abdi Mohamed Diirshe “Abdi Dheere” – Office Manager of the Land Tax Office in Hamar Jajab District and a former office manager in Warta Nabada District.
- Abdulkadir Mohamud Ibrahim “Guje” – Office Manager of the Land Tax Office.
- Abdulkadir Mohamed Ali “Jirow Ashara” – Treasurer of the Land Tax Office.
- Mohamed Ibrahim Hussein “Timo Jilac” – Assistant Treasurer of the Land Tax Office.
- Hassan Mohamed Ali – Auditor of the Land Tax Office.
- Isaaq Hassan Moalim – Commander of the Land Tax Protection Branch of the Somali Police Force.
The charges brought against these individuals represent a critical step in addressing allegations of corruption and misconduct within the Land Tax Office. The accusations range from misappropriation of public funds to abusing official positions for personal gain.
Part of a broader effort
The Office of the Attorney General has clarified that this investigation is part of a broader effort to combat corruption and theft of public property across the region. Additional cases are currently under scrutiny. Once the investigations conclude, the Office will submit them to the appropriate courts for legal action.
Last week, the Office of the Attorney General named seven government officials suspected of corruption. It accused them of embezzlement, diversion of public funds, theft of public assets and falsification of government documents. The defendants worked in government offices, primarily in the Immigration and Naturalization Directorate of Somalia (IND).